"... writing is a statement to the world that I dare to share; my thoughts, my emotions , my mistakes and my triumphs. It is an innocent self indulging feeling of being, of owning the moment. No interruptions, no arguments, no time limits, I can just say all I want to this ever patient piece of paper listening attentively to all my whims. When done, I look at my creation, with a mix of relief and hesitation. It may not be perfect, but it is part of me. It is not ideal , but neither am I. I think it is ready to be." Dr. M

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Getting Older, but not Old

Meeting old friends after a period of absence of communication, can be both exciting and eye opening. Last week, I ran into one of those old friends and the first thought that transpired was: we definitely look older. As we chatted and recalled the old days and joked, I started to think that we maybe are getting older but definitely we are not old. Some grey is starting to show, but the high school years are still fresh in my memory as if they just happened yesterday not more than 25 years ago. This reminded me of few years ago when were in our home in Egypt and the door bell rang. I opened the door to see an older man in his late sixties. He asked for my dad and when my dad came to greet the man, I was amazed at what I saw. The two men screamed away 50 years of their age. They were the two teenage friends, they once were; happy to have met after these long years and reminiscing about these beautiful years. It was a moment I am glad to have witnessed and has now been reaffirmed by my own experience. So I guess one advice I have to self is to make sure to find and visit with friends from these old young days. Keep it simple, it does not matter where we are now, but where our young hearts have been in the old days. These will hopefully be boosters to stay always "young at heart'

No comments: