"... writing is a statement to the world that I dare to share; my thoughts, my emotions , my mistakes and my triumphs. It is an innocent self indulging feeling of being, of owning the moment. No interruptions, no arguments, no time limits, I can just say all I want to this ever patient piece of paper listening attentively to all my whims. When done, I look at my creation, with a mix of relief and hesitation. It may not be perfect, but it is part of me. It is not ideal , but neither am I. I think it is ready to be." Dr. M

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fountain of Youth

As summer winds down, some will get the blues, but for me, it is hardly time to get depressed. It is actually time when my life and that of many just like me are recharged by an injection of renewable energy in the form of enthusiastic young adults venturing into our world. Watching them move around campus with energy levels that easily beats that of the energizer bunny is invigorating to say the least. During the first few days, it is easy to recognize freshmen with their wandering eyes looking for familiar faces or themes in this new world. Although it has been more than I dare to admit, I can still relate to their struggle. I still remember my first day as I stepped into the campus of Cairo University. I recall literally asking myself: "Can I make it through?".

They are away from home, from the norm, entrusting complete strangers with the making of their futures. To think that I am part of making their future brighter, I cannot help but feel lucky to be a teacher. I may not make as much money as I would have if I joined the industry. I may not have had to put as many hours into my job or walk around with my head always churning technical ideas and thinking of ways to better educate these young minds. But where else could I get this supply of endless energy in the world outside. After all these years, I cannot think of a job choice that would have been better. Since eternity there were those that were always looking for the fountain of youth, most believe it is really a myth. I think I found one and it is big enough to share: become a teacher!

No comments: