"... writing is a statement to the world that I dare to share; my thoughts, my emotions , my mistakes and my triumphs. It is an innocent self indulging feeling of being, of owning the moment. No interruptions, no arguments, no time limits, I can just say all I want to this ever patient piece of paper listening attentively to all my whims. When done, I look at my creation, with a mix of relief and hesitation. It may not be perfect, but it is part of me. It is not ideal , but neither am I. I think it is ready to be." Dr. M

Friday, April 4, 2008

I don't want to go to school

When a song with the name 'I don't want to go to school' makes it to be the most popular song among kids, who is to blame? Is it the kids who made it popular? The parents who paid the money to make it popular? The schools for not being very popular?, or the producers and TV executives that created such a destructive popular message? It is easy to choose the latter, but I blame us, the parents, the most for such a tragedy.

You may think I have lost it for commenting on such a trivial funny song, but this is a continuation of the assault on our education system. Education is a much bigger issue than many of us realize especially at this juncture. The US has been a magnet for talent from all over the world, but this is being challenged by other countries that are starting to attract this talent and by the economies that are booming in many of the countries that were traditional exporters of talent. This means that the US has to rely more on the talent within and plenty there is, except for an attitude that punishes these young kids who are interested in math and science and puts them in a negative spot light. It is those young future scientists not the football and basketball stars that will guarantee the future of this country.

I do not envy those running for the school board elections, for much of the problem is beyond the local boundaries of a county or a state. It is a national problem that cannot be solved without a universal change in our attitude as parents towards our responsibilities to our kids. We are responsible for making them appreciate learning. We are responsible for watching what they watch on TV and for identifying problem shows that are detrimental to student role models. Education starts at home with us, parents, spending our money wisely on our kids. We need to buy her a chemistry kit and buy him a history book instead of the "No more science or history" CD. We need to raise the level of our expectations of our kids to match our hopes for the future of this country.

No comments: